Name: Sharmila Chatterjee

E-mail: sc1.bmgc@nibmg.ac.in

Designation: Epidemiologist

Highest Educational Qualification: MBBS, MPH, CPH

 

 

Research

Broad area of research: Clinical and Genetic epidemiology of chronic non-communicable diseases.

Chronic non-communicable diseases (NCD) are a global health problem. While it has been suggested that about 25% of the variability in NCD-susceptibility and prognosis is directly attributable to genetic influences, the remaining 75% is controlled by a complex interplay of biological, environmental, social and culturally determined factors. My research interest is to study the natural histories and identify genetic and environmental correlates and causal factors of various health and disease parameters of public-health importance.

 

Ongoing Projects

The Kalyani Cohort Study – a longitudinal study of health and disease in a peri-urban population in eastern India

 

Project Coordinators

Prof. Partha P. Majumder , Director, National Institute of Biomedical Genomics, Kalyani

Dr. Sharmila Chatterjee, Epidemiologist, BioMedical Genomics Centre, Kolkata

Ms. Shrabanti Sarkar Ghosh, Study Coordinator, National Institute of Biomedical Genomics, Kalyani

 

The Kalyani Cohort Study is a longitudinal study conceived in the year 2010 by the National Institute of Biomedical Genomics. The overall goal of the project is to assess behavioural, biological, genetic, social and environmental factors and procure necessary evidence for effective health improvement. The KCS is one of few cohort studies in India to have collected and stored DNA samples for studying disease-genomics.

 

Hospital-based epidemiology of congenital heart disease in Kolkata and the molecular basis of nonsyndromic Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF)

 

Project Coordinators

Dr. Santanu Dutta, Associate Professor, Department of CTVS, IPGMER & SSKM Hospitals

Dr. Sharmila Chatterjee, Epidemiologist, BioMedical Genomics Centre, Kolkata

 

Congenital heart disease is the most common developmental defect among paediatric subjects contributing significantly to morbidity, mortality and associated medical expenditures. This study aims to determine the prevalence of PS and TOF in CHD spectrum among 0 – 14 year old children at SSKM Hospitals, Kolkata and structural abnormalities among non-syndromic TOF. The precise prevalence data obtained from this study will provide an assessment of overall CHD burden in eastern India. Identification of genetic molecular defects may provide new insights into genetic factors for CHD in this population.

 

Selected Publications

 

Chatterjee S, Chattopadhyay A, Levine PH. (2015) Between-Ward disparities in colorectal cancer incidence and screening in Washington DC. Journal of Epidemiology and Global Health. 5(4 Suppl 1)S1-9.

 

Chatterjee S, Abramson JH. (2013)  WinPepi easy-to-use statistical software for epidemiologists. Journal of Dental, Oral and Craniofacial Epidemiology. Vol. 1, No.2.

 

Chatterjee S. (2013) Strengthening of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) – its role in public health. The Journal of Theory and Practice of Dental Public Health. Vol. 1, No.1.

 

Rosenthal VD, Maki DG, Graves N, Chatterjee S,...et.al. (2008) The International Nosocomial Infection Control Consortium (INICC) goals and objectives, description of surveillance methods, and operational activities. Am J Infect Control. 36(9)e1-12.

 

Mehta A, Rosenthal VD, Chatterjee S...et al. (2007) Device-associated nosocomial infection rates in intensive care units of seven Indian cities. Findings of the International Nosocomial Infection Control Consortium (INICC); Journal of Hospital Infection 67, 168-174.